Search
October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Queen Belle is very poorly sick!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Queen Belle is very poorly sick!

Post by Jax on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:07 am

My old lady cat Belle who is 16 years old & been through so much with me is very ill at the moment. I'd hoped she'd get through another couple of years after her thyroid op' earlier this year but it seems it is not meant to be.
She also had a growth removed at the same time as her thyroidectomy & it looks like it was malignant cos only last week we found another couple of lumps. We took her to the vet & he advised keeping an eye on them & taking her back tonight. Last night when I got in from work she was so wobbly & could not jump up on my lap to see me (which she always does).
After I lifted her & gave her lots of stroking & loves (Mimi was jealous) I found three extra hard lumps (she has five altogether now affraid) & she is so thin too. She's hardly eaten anything the last couple of days either & is breathing really heavily. I'm afraid the vet is going to suggest euthanasia & I am so upset. I know it will probably be the best thing but after having to hold my old Tom while they gave him the injection a couple of years ago it really traumatised me.
Hubby said he'd take her alone but I can't do that - she's been my best friend for so long & I must say goodbye to her properly & hold her for the last time. I'm going to spend as much of today as I can with her on my lap; as it's my day off.

Last edited by Mercedes on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Jax
Graduate
Graduate

Registration date : 2008-09-25
Number of posts : 245

Back to top Go down

Re: Queen Belle is very poorly sick!

Post by claire on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:09 am

im so sorry mercedes.. this is the hardest part but if the vet does suggest that then at least she wont be in pain anymore. sincerest sympathies as i know how you are feeling. lots of love to you are your family big armhug
claire
Best of Breed
Best of Breed

Registration date : 2008-10-28
Number of posts : 1478

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynne & Gus on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:23 am

Oh no... thats such a shame. Just try to think of all your happy memories of being with her, and the great life you have given her.

Thinking of you at this hard time big armhug
Lynne & Gus
Best of Breed
Best of Breed

Number of posts : 1094

Back to top Go down

Post by Cazmatch on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:34 am

I had to go through the same thing a few weeks ago. My cat had a problem with her kidneys and literally went from chasing mice to barely able to hold her head up in 24 hours. I took her to the vets and stayed with her until she was put to sleep. She was only 4 years old. I brought her home and buried her in her favourite sunny spot in our garden.
It is so hard I know. The one thing that gave me comfort is knowing that she went so peacefully and that she was no longer in pain. No matter how much I miss her, she still puts a smile on my face when I think of her and her little personality. wub
Will be thinking of you.

Cazmatch
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2008-10-05
Number of posts : 372

Back to top Go down

Post by Jax on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:57 am

Ahhh I just went to Tescos specially to get a spit roasted chicken as Belle loves them. Her & Mimi normally smell it as I'm walking down the garden path tbh & are sitting at my feet while I unpack the shopping sniffing the air.
This morning I come in & unpack, Mimi is there like a shot but no Belle Crying or Very sad.
I chopped up some white breast for her & took it to her when it had cooled down enough, she'd just managed to wobble to the top of the stairs bless.
She gingerly ate one piece that I hand-fed her & then sort of wearily gave up just licking another. My poor girlie, I've got to take her outside now it's stopped raining, to see if she can pee I love you.

Last edited by Mercedes on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jax
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by claire on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:01 pm

Poor Belle Sad

blow a kiss
claire
Best of Breed
Best of Breed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:25 pm

Oh im so so sorry....sending you al lots of love and hugs big armhug big armhug

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaz65 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:16 pm

Poor Bella. Sad It's so hard having to decided what to do for them. sending you lots of big armhug big armhug

kisses flowers
Kaz65
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-09-26
Number of posts : 1975

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyssa on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:16 pm

What a shame, so sad when this happens. Sending you lots of big armhug and just wanted you to know that you and Belle are in my thoughts.
Nyssa
Best In Show
Best In Show

Number of posts : 1576

Back to top Go down

Post by daisydotes on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:51 pm

big armhug to you Jax I lost my old boy a few weeks ago the diabetes got the better of him and he was 16 years old and my vet said it was time to let him go< He was the last one of three tabby's I had all together 2 boys and their sister.

Will be thinking of you but you will know it is the kindest thing you can do for her

Last edited by daisydotes on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
daisydotes
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-09-21
Number of posts : 2688

Back to top Go down

Post by NeeNee on Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:35 pm

I soo sorry to hear about your Belle.

Sending you big hugs big armhug big armhug

Thinking of you all, we are all here if you need us big armhug
NeeNee
Open Dog or Bitch
Open Dog or Bitch

Number of posts : 592

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah on Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:18 pm

I'm sorry to hear your sad news...its such a difficult choice to make...
have a hug from me big armhug
Keep us all informed
Sarah
Graduate
Graduate

Registration date : 2008-10-12
Number of posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Post by adele on Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:18 pm

so sorry to here your sad news, i will be thinking of you big armhug
adele
Best In Show
Best In Show

Number of posts : 1562

http://www.evelyndellshihtzus.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Mitch on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:28 pm

Oh dear what a sad time for you, try to hang on to the lovely times you have had I love you
Mrs Mitch
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2008-09-22
Number of posts : 351

Back to top Go down

Post by LoopyLu on Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:00 am

Sorry to hear about poor Belle. Thinking of you big armhug

LoopyLu
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Number of posts : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove on Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:20 pm

Sorry to hear about poor Belle but you have given her a good life and it seems like now is the time that you can give her the greatest gift of love anyone can give and that is to ensure she does not suffer and linger as she would in the wild or if she were human.

I am sending you lots of love and healing thoughts to help you in this awful time and please try to think about the happy lovely times you have had together to help you through wub wub big armhug

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10566

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jax on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:36 am

Thank you everyone for all your wishes & thoughts. Queen Belle is still with us for now but we know it is her last few days & we are trying to make them as comfortable & loved as we can.
The Vet confirmed our suspicions that she has inoperable cancer & at best only has a couple of weeks to live. It seems to have attacked the lymphatic system, she has three growths along her back plus one under her jaw & the mammary one (probably the primary).
Because she still has some quality of life & does not appear to be in pain we decided against euthanasia at present & the vet gave her some steroids. She will eat if I feed her by hand (she's having such lovely treats of fresh chicken, king prawns & sliced ham) & is managing to wobble to her water bowl & the top of the stairs to howl that she needs to go out to the toilet. We have agreed that as soon as she becomes too ill to function, or we think she is in pain we will take her in to go on her journey to Rainbow Bridge. She is sitting in her fave spot on the carpet at the moment luxuriating in the sun, next to her Feliway plug-in wub.
The only problem we have is Princess Mimi, our naughty little doglet seems to know there is something wrong & keeps pouncing on the poor pusser; of course she can't defend herself any more, or jump up out of the way & just topples over (the nerves to her back legs & tail have been affected). So we've decided for her last week or so Belle should have peace & we've been keeping Mimi downstairs.
Last night was awful she went in her crate to sleep no probs but after about an hour realised we were gone & started whining, then whimpering, then barking, lastly howling sitting on the bottom stairs in front of the stair-gate. Because we we were worried about the neighbours I took her into the spare room with me & shut the door to our bedroom, hubby & Belle so she could not get in. However she kept pawing at the door & then the barking & howling started again Shocked.
Eventually we decided at 4.30am just to let her sleep with us, as we don't want neighbourhood wars & her noise was probably upsetting the cat even more. We put her on the bed out of the way, she's never been allowed to sleep on the bed but she was in such a state trembling & whimpering etc, she slept with her head on my lap (the cat likes the bottom of the wardrobe). We've put her downstairs again this morning as she does not seem to mind during the day, (even when we are upstairs).
We'll just have to be very on-the-ball at night & make sure Mimi does n't manage to get in the wardrobe or pounce on the cat when she decides to go for a nocturnal, wobbly wander Wink.

Last edited by Mercedes on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jax
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:02 pm

I've only just seen this thread. I'm sorry to hear that Belle is so poorly. Thinking of you at this difficult time and sending lots of wub and big armhug from me and my boys. xxx
Debbie
Best In Show
Best In Show

Number of posts : 3245

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by adele on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:54 pm

so sorry for you at this sad time, our thoughts are with you. glad you got some time with her, she will know how much she is loved. hugs from me and my crew big armhug
adele
Best In Show
Best In Show

Number of posts : 1562

http://www.evelyndellshihtzus.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ngandkoi on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:06 pm

i am so sorry to ear this it is so hard .........thinking of you at this time...

rose[img][/img]
ngandkoi
Junior
Junior

Registration date : 2008-11-14
Number of posts : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by claire on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:47 pm

im glad you can have some more time with her as she isnt in pain, and make whatever time it is left, as nice as possible for her. lots of treats and love. i feel so much what you are going through and have tears running down my face as im writing! thinking of you both. lots of blow a kiss and big armhug and kisses to belle xx
claire
Best of Breed
Best of Breed

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:45 pm

What a naughty little girl Mimi is - typical shih tzu wanting to be the centre of attention if you ask me! You are doing right trying to keep her apart - poor Belle deserves that. I hope the steroids are helping and keep her comfortable and eating for a few weeks yet. Bless her xxx

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10566

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top