Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sleep Well
Poorly puppy  - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
Poorly puppy  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
Poorly puppy  - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
Poorly puppy  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
Poorly puppy  - Page 2 EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
Poorly puppy  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
Poorly puppy  - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
Poorly puppy  - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
Poorly puppy  - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Poorly puppy

+7
Michele
sands-62
suzytzu
sujay
Mercedes55
simbalove
Freckles
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Poorly puppy  - Page 2 Empty Re: Poorly puppy

Post by Michele Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:17 pm

Poor Chester and poor you it is so hard when they are ill as puppies, hopefully he is now in the mend, he is gorgeous by the way very similar colouring to my Wispa and Rosie x
Michele
Michele
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-10-06
Number of posts : 1938

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:25 pm

Freckles wrote:Thank-you all so much you are very kind. You are right its sooooo hard, especially as he is so little and I am feeling helpless. I cant bear the thought of him hurting. Yes I have been in touch with the breeder and she assures me the rest of the litter are all doing well. I was also shocked at the tapeworm diagnosis as there has been no evidence of this and the breeders conditions were excellent. My mum says he may be allergic to the chicken, do you think thats possible? The vet said to keep him on it, then in a weeks time try him on dry food. I suppose its trial and error. At least he seems to be playing and energetic. Will see what the poo sample comes up with xxx

While I agree that vets don't always get it right, it is NOT a diagnosis that a vet would jump to as tape worm is so very rare in puppies so I would think that he has maybe noticed something to prompt him to this diagnosis.

Now to the diarrhoea it does take quite some time to get that to clear up - also if he had a worming tablet that can aggravate the tum too. The other thing is that I had a problem years ago with a puppy on Pedigree chum - it upset her gut really badly and took ages to clear up (my other dogs were fine on it) so it may be that.  Also with Josh he reacted with very loose stools to every dry/canned food I offered him which is why I put him onto raw chicken wings - which he ate till he was 18 months old till I found there were raw meat diets I could purchase.  Once I went down this road I had no other dietary problems with him - and I recommend a raw diet above all else. There are a lot of threads on here for you to have a read of and see what I and other people say Very Happy Josh cannot tolerate rice very well also.  For treats I use James WellBeloved Crackerjacks and we have had the ones with rice but more recently I have found a variety with potato rather than rice and Josh won't eat any other now.

Both my two are on a raw diet and they have rarely had a tummy  bug (actually they had one this year which was the first time since Josh was a puppy and he is 8 now).

The problem with Science plan is it has a lot of nasties in it - as do most dried foods ... they use things like sugar beet pulp in dry foods which is a filler and very useful for horses!

Keep to the light diet of chicken and rice as the vet suggested - if you don't feel it is getting any better but he is not "sickly" then you could try pasta instead of rice.  You can also try fish instead of chicken (not fried or with batter of course Very Happy).   Another thing you can do is add some pumpkin to his diet.  I got tins of this from Waitrose - and it really does help the digestion/stool formation.

It is quite possible that this is a combination of things... change of home. diet, vaccination etc and all I can say is it will improve.

Once when I had a litter of pups with runny bums, I ended up giving them all a garlic tablet... we had a rally bad dose of loose stools a short time after but after that it was clear..so that is another possibility (but I would still just go down the route the vet has suggested first perhaps with the addition of pumpkin)

You have my phone number now so if you get worried at all and want to talk you know where I am xxxx:teddyhug:
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:07 am

Morning all! We had a better night last night, although not completely out of the woods as tummy still upset, just not as frequent. Had to give Chester a good wash around his little bottom, the fur is so thick there and he needed a good clean, I tend to do this after every potty session at the moment. How old is old enough to be groomed? I have been thinking about grooming him myself but have little experience although have any of you watched Winnie the Shih Tzu on youtube? If not I highly recommend it. Will keep y'all posted on Chesters progress xxx
Freckles
Freckles
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Registration date : 2013-07-29
Number of posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by sujay Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:47 am

Glad to hear that Chester (and you as well!) had a better night last night. Keep up with the chicken and rice and things should keep going in the right direction. 

Grooming can start right away, with a gentle brush at regular intervals so he gets used to it. The fact you are having to wash him at the minute will actually help with him getting used to you handling him so don't worry. If you start now then Chester will accept grooming as part of his routine as he grows. It won't be long and you will be able to give him a little top knot which will look sooooo cute. I don't know if you have decided yet but I, along with quite a few others on the forum like to keep their Shih Tzu in a full coat. People think it is a lot of work, but I can assure you, once you get into the routine and have the right products it is so easy you wouldn't believe it. If you need any advice just have a quick search and you will find loads of posts, or ask away and we will do our best to advise you. Smile
sujay
sujay
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-07-19
Number of posts : 2636

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:59 am

Glad he is on the mend Smile As Sujay says grooming can start right now (I hope you meant grooming by saying grooming and not taking to the groomers to be clipped lol!)

Anyway use a brush and wide tooth comb for now (or you can get a rotating tooth comb - very useful) and a little cat comb for his face.  As you are washing him a lot get him used to a quick cool blast from the hairdryer and look out for some fun times cos they usually try to catch the air lol!

Just give him a little groom every day on your lap for now will do but later you might like to transfer to a table.  the main thing at the moment is to make grooming fun - let him fight the comb or brush a little if he wants to then you do your stuff, let it become a cuddly bonding session also and then when you need to work on the coat more (as he gets to the time where his puppy coat changes to adult) you will be well in the swing xxxx
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:41 am

I am pleased that it sounds like it is starting to slow down a bit and you all had a better night. Sleep is very precious to us all. As big as mine are they still give us bad nights merely slinking around the bedroom and settling themselves on their beds, like Tasha the other night. I decided to give her a beanbag to sleep on and the beans woke us up , sounds daft I know but they noisy things when they get shifted around. So last night I put a pad on there and she slept in her little 'house' can't win!!!
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:45 am

I meant to say I feed my two girls a raw food diet since the last few weeks and they are loving it. I am getting a new one today that a couple of us use Wolf Tucker they do one for puppies too. I groom my own two girls I absolutely love it. I do however now have an excellent groomer that Tasha goes to about once maybe twice a year just to make sure I haven't missed anywhere . But all Chester needs for the next few months is a gentle brush as mentioned above posts.
teddy hug
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks my lovelies you are all so helpful, honestly it means to much to me right now. I know it takes time to respond to messages and answer questions!! As for the grooming yes we have a routine of a good brush in the morning, I give him a little chew toy and that seems to distract him heehee. His face is tricky tho, and I find I am needing to clean his eyes of sleep so I just do it with wet warm cotton wool, not his favourite thing but his little face is so black it is hard to see when the gunk is collecting in the corners of the eyes. I have spent lots of time watching youtube videos to get tips. I want bath and brush time to be as stress-free and fun as possible. I am nervous about groomers for clipping etc as have heard some horror stories. Well I am hoping its not too long till we get the results back from the vet. We are finished his course of medication. The vet has said only feed him small portions of chicken and rice till his tummy is better, I really hope its not the cause. Poor baby has just gone again sad
Freckles
Freckles
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:34 pm

It took me some time to get used to the daily grooming routine. Their eyes are gunky first thing. I use some cool boiled water with a bit of bicarb of soda in it and use that to dampen some cotton wool and then clean Daisy's eyes. I then blot off the moisture with a cloth and use a little face comb. I don't have a grooming table so I just put Daisy on the sofa in the conservatory and kneel down on the floor. I also find I have to brush and comb her ears and tail most days as they are longer than the rest of her as we keep her in a puppy cut. Once I've cleaned her teeth she gets a treat and I think the only reason she behaves while being groomed is so she can get that treat!

We found ourselves a very good groomer who we go to once every 6wks. She make sure to trim the hair around Daisy's bottom quite short as we once had a problem with her having the runs and all the hair around there got all matted with poo and had to be cut really short and we've just carried on having the hair there cut fairly short.

It is quite a learning curve Laughing 

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Registration date : 2012-08-01
Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:15 pm

Its really not a good idea to cut round the bottom as it makes it more likely to cause and obstruction as the hair starts to grow.  Once the hair is long - and the dog is on a suitable diet - there is rearely a problem Very Happy
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EvonneSB Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:48 pm

So glad that Chester is on the mend. He is very sweet.

I'm glad you said that about trimming around the bottom, Lesley, as I was thinking that Ellie needed that area trimmed. 
We're going to switch to raw once we've got through the bag of Royal Canin. She turned her nose up at the Nature's Menu nuggets so hopefully she'll take Wolftucker!
EvonneSB
EvonneSB
Graduate
Graduate

Registration date : 2013-01-10
Number of posts : 168

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:24 pm

simbalove wrote:Its really not a good idea to cut round the bottom as it makes it more likely to cause and obstruction as the hair starts to grow.  Once the hair is long - and the dog is on a suitable diet - there is rearely a problem Very Happy

I'm glad you mentioned that Lesley as we are taking Daisy to the groomers on Saturday and I shall ask her to leave her hair alone there now teddy hug 

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:16 pm

I had to do it on Isabella after my back op as she had got into a bit of a state when she was staying with my friend (she is a bit of a chomper and you have to keep on top of it or the knots are unbearable).. it was doing my head in while it grew back as when it starts to grow it causes more "Klingons" and can even get impacted Smile

I think you are probably finding that toileting is much better on raw aren't you?

Don't think you will find the same with the Wolftucker but because Ellie has been used to kibble it might be better to wean her over gradually to raw xxxx
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:07 am

simbalove wrote:Its really not a good idea to cut round the bottom as it makes it more likely to cause and obstruction as the hair starts to grow.  Once the hair is long - and the dog is on a suitable diet - there is rearely a problem Very Happy

You know I have often had a problem like that with Tasha, but since  we had them on Trophy and now Raw we haven't ever had a problem since, although I do still keep her shortish there. But I know I don't have to worry about it any more.
teddy hug 
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:11 am

EvonneSB wrote:So glad that Chester is on the mend. He is very sweet.

I'm glad you said that about trimming around the bottom, Lesley, as I was thinking that Ellie needed that area trimmed. 
We're going to switch to raw once we've got through the bag of Royal Canin. She turned her nose up at the Nature's Menu nuggets so hopefully she'll take Wolftucker!

My goodness do you think we should ask Wolf Tucker for a Shih Tzu Whispers discount with so many of us switching to it? I know it is very early days but it does look good and so far my girls are enjoying it.
teddy hug 
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:43 am

Morning all,

I am starting to despair as Chester is still not right. He was ok through the night, got me up once, but this morning he was bad again. I called another vet for a second opinion but they wouldnt say anything without seeing him. Its really frustrating me thats this is going on for so long. The pro-kalin and chicken/rice diet has not helped. Not happy today xxx
Freckles
Freckles
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:44 am

Look love - if he were mine and I was as worried as you I would take him to the second vet for a second opinion.  You may get the same advice and treatment but at least then you will know.  As I told you tummy upsets are a bit of a devil to sort out but if it is a bug he may need antibiotics.  Also go and get some live yogurt (bio yogurt) as this will help his tummy.
Let me know how you get on x
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:44 am

I'm sorry that poor Chester doesn't seem to be right still. We had problems with Daisy when she was younger and the vet told us that puppies are very prone to digestive disorders and often go through periods when they can't handle certain foods. We put Daisy on a diagnostic diet from our vet called Purina HA and for the 6wks that she on that she was back to normal again. In fact when I look back she was at her worst when she was on home cooked chicken and rice and with hindsight we think maybe she was grain intolerant and all that rice was making her worse not better. Like many others on here we now have her on a raw diet and I have to say it's been the best decision we made, but of course you need to get your little one well first teddy hug 

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:52 pm

Do you know I am thinking it may well be the problem with little Chester. An intolerance to grain. If you think about it he is having mostly rice which will only make it worse as happened with Daisy, Lyn. I do hope the second Vet will give you some more advice that will help poor little Chester.
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:20 pm

...which is why I gave Josh a raw chicken wing in the first place and have never looked back since teddy hug
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:21 pm

Thats what I am thinking, it MUST be the food!! Vet is adamant I keep him on the rice and chicken .... should I just change it, and what to??? xxx
Freckles
Freckles
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:30 pm

Would you be prepared to try him with a raw chicken wing??  That was the advice I was given when Josh was a puppy and it stopped the tummy problems immediately.

Why not try some poached fish and a little mash potato? To see if it is the food or if he has a tummy bug.  Did you manage to get some pumpkin?? If not add a little bran to his meal to help bulk up the stools.
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:32 pm

I am more than happy to try absolutely ANYTHING!!! I just want him better. He seems to LOVE the chicken and rice but I can easily change it. The only reason I havent is the vet said not too ...
Freckles
Freckles
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:32 pm

Freckles wrote:Thats what I am thinking, it MUST be the food!! Vet is adamant I keep him on the rice and chicken .... should I just change it, and what to??? xxx

I know if it were mine he would be changed to Raw very gently at first . If the Vet -is this the second one you are talking about now? is thinking it is definitely food related it still could be an intolerance to grain like Lyn's Daisy had. She went through a terrible time with Daisy exactly the same as you are with Chester and I think in the end she shied away from the advice the vet gave and tried other things until she tried raw and she was okay after that. Best person to advise you would be Lesley - Simbalove- she has had Shih Tzu's for over thirty years me only 6 years. I am just saying what I would do. If you did go down the Raw route www.wolftucker.co.uk  do one for puppies. It would do no harm to discuss the problem with them they are very approachable.

teddy hug 
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Thank-you so much I have just been onto the Wolftucker website and placed an order xxx
Freckles
Freckles
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next