Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sleep Well
Daisy has the mucous stools yet again - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
Daisy has the mucous stools yet again - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
Daisy has the mucous stools yet again - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
Daisy has the mucous stools yet again - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
Daisy has the mucous stools yet again - Page 2 EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
Daisy has the mucous stools yet again - Page 2 EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
Daisy has the mucous stools yet again - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
Daisy has the mucous stools yet again - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
Daisy has the mucous stools yet again - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Daisy has the mucous stools yet again

+5
simbalove
sands-62
Rooney, Roxy&Pip
sujay
Mercedes55
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Daisy has the mucous stools yet again - Page 2 Empty Re: Daisy has the mucous stools yet again

Post by Mercedes55 Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:15 pm

simbalove wrote:Lyn you really need to keep to the food Daisy is on at the moment to give the gut time to heal from the colitis. It isn't a good idea to go chopping and changing about... so what if they have a few stained whiskers?? It is more likley to be from the water anyway Very Happy

Oh no Lesley I wasn't planning on changing her food for the time being. We will keep her on the Purina EN for now and when we feel she is totally okay on that I'll give her some of the slippery elm remedy which apparently coats the insides of their intestines and calms down their insides and make sure she is still okay and then I may think about what we want her to eat long term that won't upset her once I know everything is okay. Right now she is okay in that there is no mucous but she isn't passing as much poo as she used to and she seems to strain more to go so I'm not convinced she is cured of whatever is wrong with her, if that makes sense.

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Registration date : 2012-08-01
Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Daisy has the mucous stools yet again - Page 2 Empty Re: Daisy has the mucous stools yet again

Post by Rooney, Roxy&Pip Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:30 am

I have read on the which dog food website about foods with high fibre. It mentions the colon and how the food is digested to produce firm stools.

On the description of a food, click the ingredient.

Have a look at trophy duck and veg, the fibre is well over average. Trophy also send out free samples
Rooney, Roxy&Pip
Rooney, Roxy&Pip
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-05-12
Number of posts : 1846

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:51 am

I don't know if it's a shih tzu thing but I swear Daisy has a little dance routine for when she wants to do a poo. I've never seen anything like it. This morning we were outside the newsagents and off she went, round and round, back and forth, seemed like an age before she stopped and actually did something. When our labrador goes she doesn't even stop walking, she just does it as she walks along Shocked

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by jay16570 Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:01 am

simbalove wrote:Lyn you really need to keep to the food Daisy is on at the moment to give the gut time to heal from the colitis. It isn't a good idea to go chopping and changing about... so what if they have a few stained whiskers?? It is more likley to be from the water anyway Very Happy

ruby didnt just have a few stained whiskers caused from water,she had bad staining under her eyes on her beard on her feet and even under her arm pits,and this was caused through ingredients in the food that the vets put her on to sort out her colitis,which the food did sort out after being on it for 12 weeks,then we started to introduce a differant food,but what works for one dog doesnt mean it is going to work for another,i was just saying what we had found worked for ruby,i thought thats what this site was all about giving and recieving advice and experiances that we have had with are dogs.we all have differant views on what food is best for our dogs.i no what works for my dog and thats all i was passing on was my experiance with rubys colitis,which i still beleive is food related.

Last edited by jay16570 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)
jay16570
jay16570
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2011-06-01
Number of posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post by Famke Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:20 am

Mercedes55 wrote:I don't know if it's a shih tzu thing but I swear Daisy has a little dance routine for when she wants to do a poo. I've never seen anything like it. This morning we were outside the newsagents and off she went, round and round, back and forth, seemed like an age before she stopped and actually did something. When our labrador goes she doesn't even stop walking, she just does it as she walks along Shocked

Lyn

Yep a shih tzu thing! You really want to shure to deposit in the exact right place you seeDaisy has the mucous stools yet again - Page 2 121985
Famke
Famke
Open Dog or Bitch
Open Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2010-04-11
Number of posts : 738

http://www.vantzonnezicht.com/Javari.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:11 pm

Talking about dancin around mags does the same she always goes for number two standin on her back feet legs on the wall or flower pot done since we had her at 11 weeks so when she jumps at a wall when out we know what's coming
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2012-02-13
Number of posts : 1515

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:25 pm

Mali is funny too, she runs of to her Favorite place and then starts twisting and turning and then starts squatting. Tasha walks quickly and sniffs about and then you think she is going to do a poo then changes her mind where to deposit it, then off she goes again and does this for a minute or two. As if it matters where she puts it?
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:11 pm

I spoke too soon about Daisy and her poos being okay now. She did one that was fine first thing, then about half an hour ago she went out into the back garden and did one. By the time I got to it she had eaten half of it bang head The other half had a bit of mucous in it, but not much. The only change I have made in the last couple of days has been adding some of the Purina EN kibble to the tinned Purina EN. I did ask at the vets to see if I needed to do the change gradually but was told as they were the same ingredients I could do a straight swap, but I have been doing it gradually just in case. I will see how her poos are tomorrow and if this carries on then I guess it's back to the vets confused

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rooney, Roxy&Pip Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:57 pm

I find when roxy eats hers she gets mucous!
Rooney, Roxy&Pip
Rooney, Roxy&Pip
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-05-12
Number of posts : 1846

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:26 pm

Josh is a wall jumper - all these things are shih tzu things lol!
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:57 am

I am tearing my hair out yet again. Daisy had a bit of mucous on her stools yesterday but not much and I hoped it was just a one off. Odd thing though was that she normally does two lots of poo, but yesterday only did one. Took her out this morning, she did nothing again. She went out in the garden a little while ago and did a huge mushy poo covered in tons of mucous again. She then danced again, stopped and did another little one and it was just running out of her like brown liquid. I have phoned the vets and got an appt for this evening and will take a sample of the poo she did earlier.

I am guessing, for whatever reason, even though the Purina EN kibble is the same as the Purina EN wet food, she isn't coping with it. I don't know what I'm going to do if the vet says she needs to stay on the wet food as it's nearly £2 a tin and she apparently needs a tin a day and OH said he isn't prepared to pay that as with all the other things like insurance, grooming and paying for our labrador that he just can't afford it Crying or Very sad

I just don't know what to do, I can't bear the thought of having to take her back to the breeder Crying or Very sad

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by sujay Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Sorry to hear Daisy isn't well again. She sounds just the same as Simba when he was a puppy. He has just about outgrown it now and is fine most of the time, but we went through no end of problems when he was younger with the vet suggesting special foods for him which he wouldn't touch. Has the vet suggested doing any further investigations yet?

You could well find that Daisy outgrows it as she becomes an adult, so you may not be buying the expensive diet for ever. teddy hug
sujay
sujay
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-07-19
Number of posts : 2636

Back to top Go down

Post by Famke Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:19 pm

Javari had problems as well as a puppy and is fine now. I discovered this: http://www.petag.com/product/dog-nutrition-supplements/bene-bac-plus-pet-gel/ and it works a treat! Hardly ever do I use it now. And I went to raw food, that helped too.
Famke
Famke
Open Dog or Bitch
Open Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2010-04-11
Number of posts : 738

http://www.vantzonnezicht.com/Javari.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:30 pm

I'm glad it's not just me having problems, although obviously don't want to wish bad health on any poor dog. I think I am just stressed with already having a labrador who has colitis, although hers is pretty much under control most of the time. Even my son said to me "mum how come you have 2 dogs that are sick when most people don't have trouble with one?". Then the receptionist at the vets said "oh you should have got another labrador". Honestly I could have cried Crying or Very sad

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by jay16570 Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:44 pm

lyn doesnt your pet insurance cover the vet food,when ruby was on it our pet insurance covered this as part her treatment for her colitis.we are insured with marks and spencers,i no that not all insurance policys cover food but might be worth checking out.we felt like it was 1 step forward and 3 steps back when we went through it but you will get there eventually with daisy.
jay16570
jay16570
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2011-06-01
Number of posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post by sujay Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Mercedes55 wrote:I'm glad it's not just me having problems, although obviously don't want to wish bad health on any poor dog. I think I am just stressed with already having a labrador who has colitis, although hers is pretty much under control most of the time. Even my son said to me "mum how come you have 2 dogs that are sick when most people don't have trouble with one?". Then the receptionist at the vets said "oh you should have got another labrador". Honestly I could have cried Crying or Very sad

Lyn

You say you are stressed with all the problems with Daisy, and I think unfortunately you are in a viscous circle situation. Shih tzu are such sensitive little souls, that they pick up on the slightest change in your feelings. You are stressed, which makes Daisy stressed, which gives her an upset tum, which makes you more stressed. It goes on and on. It is easy for me to say, and I can assure you when Simba was bad we were really worried about him, but try not to let it get to you. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and the fact you have gone a couple of days with no problem, shows that Daisy can have a calm tum. Just take each day as a new one and forget what has gone on the day before. You will get there in the end. teddy hug
sujay
sujay
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Well yes I am certainly stressed and wish I could not be, however I think it's just my nature to get stressed out over things that perhaps most people wouldn't bat an eyelid at. Daisy is such a sweetheart, she is such a well behaved and affectionate little thing and I love her to bits. I just wish I could get the feeding issues sorted. I don't even think the Purina is a good food, most reviews on it are very negative, seems to be full of cereal and additives which is not good Shocked

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by Michele Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:26 pm

We had a the same issue with Wispa as a pup back and forth to the vet antibiotics and stuff to sort her tummy out but nothing worked in the end the vet said you will just have to try different foods until you find one that suits her because there is no real problem apart from the fact she has a sensitive tummy she is now fed on James Wellbeloved, my daughter then got a shih tzu and she had the same problems vet couldn't find anything wrong after being on expensive food frm the vet etc, what works for her is Hilton Herbs she gives two different ones, one on the morning on her food and one at night they do one for tummy problems and one for calming sensitive dogs she has not had one bad tummy in over six months, the herbs are not expensive about 13 pounds a pack which will last a shih tzu approx six months, it has saved a fortune in vets bills x

Michele
Michele
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-10-06
Number of posts : 1938

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:35 am

My advice now is stop worrying. Telephone Hilton Herbs and ask which product would be suitable for Daisy. I spoke to them myself recently when I bought their Top Coat and they are very knowledgeable and friendly.

I also think when she is better start her on a raw diet may be Natures Menu Nuggets or one of their other ones like Prize Choice Freeflow.

You can put in your postcode and find your local stockist or order online.
www.naturesmenue.co.uk

http://prizechoice.co.uk/products/freeflowmincedmeats/index.php

http://www.hiltonherbs.com/

Free phone 0800 2941250 Hilton Herbs
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:40 am

Michele wrote:We had a the same issue with Wispa as a pup back and forth to the vet antibiotics and stuff to sort her tummy out but nothing worked in the end the vet said you will just have to try different foods until you find one that suits her because there is no real problem apart from the fact she has a sensitive tummy she is now fed on James Wellbeloved, my daughter then got a shih tzu and she had the same problems vet couldn't find anything wrong after being on expensive food frm the vet etc, what works for her is Hilton Herbs she gives two different ones, one on the morning on her food and one at night they do one for tummy problems and one for calming sensitive dogs she has not had one bad tummy in over six months, the herbs are not expensive about 13 pounds a pack which will last a shih tzu approx six months, it has saved a fortune in vets bills x

I also think it is a Shih Tzu trait because Mali used to get it quite often , until I changed their food to Trophy Holistic Premium and I can honestly say I have never had a problem since. I don't remember Tasha having the problem. And Mali used to have it from a puppy every few weeks. But she was never ill with it and the vet at the time didn't seem to know what it was.

sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:41 am

I definitely need to stop worrying I know Carol, as it's getting on top of me. We took Daisy to the vets last night and he said we should either stay on the Purina EN wet food, which we don't want to do, or put her on something called Purina HE which is a food they use as a diagnostic tool to find out what foods don't suit them. He said to keep her on that for 6wks and then go back and if she is okay we will start to introduce other foods then. I've also got to get another 2 stool samples so that they can pool the samples just in case she does have something else.

I'm really quite open to all the suggestions you have regarding the food. I like the idea of the raw food but right now I am worried about giving it to her until she has settled down again. Yesterday was a pretty crappy day, I was so involved with Daisy that when Mishka our labrador started to bark at around 4pm I just called out to her "too early for dinner" as she has a habit of staring to bark about an hour before dinner time. When I eventually went into the dining room where she was she had pooped all over the dining room carpet and was sitting there looking all sorry for herself, which made me feel bad. Good thing was her poos were solid so they didn't mark the carpet phew!

Took Daisy out last night and this morning and so far she's done nothing.

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by sujay Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:28 am

If you feel things are getting on top of you Lyn, come on here and have a moan. There are lots of us who have gone through the same thing, so we can all sympathise and possibly come up with a new suggestion to try. That's the good thing about the forum, we help each other.

Have you tried the herbs to see if they have an effect? As Michele says, they can work wonders, so give them a ring and see which they suggest. They are very easy to use, just sprinkle them on Daisy's food and she will take them. They may take a while to become fully effective, but you should start to get some improvement fairly quickly. It's worth a try and if it works you will get peace of mind and be able to relax which will have a knock on effect. Smile
sujay
sujay
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:10 am

sujay wrote:If you feel things are getting on top of you Lyn, come on here and have a moan. There are lots of us who have gone through the same thing, so we can all sympathise and possibly come up with a new suggestion to try. That's the good thing about the forum, we help each other.

Have you tried the herbs to see if they have an effect? As Michele says, they can work wonders, so give them a ring and see which they suggest. They are very easy to use, just sprinkle them on Daisy's food and she will take them. They may take a while to become fully effective, but you should start to get some improvement fairly quickly. It's worth a try and if it works you will get peace of mind and be able to relax which will have a knock on effect. Smile

Thanks for that, it's nice to be able to offload somewhere.

I do have some herbal stuff already, the slippery elm powder which I believe is also called tree bark powder and is good for their digestive system. Also have some prebiotics. However the vet said to give her nothing at all with this new food, not even a tiny treat after she is groomed.

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:07 pm

I would give her the prebiotics and herbs regardless of what the vet said... some vets are anti anything other than medical intervention but herbs are a proven form of natural medicine and were being used long before conventional medicine took off and now the NHS is even looking into these things for example they treat MRSA with silver which is what was being used before antibiotics came on the scene Very Happy

The herbs and prebiotics will help her digestion and ease the gut and won't do any harm to her at all. If you don't get them in her they won't be able to start working. They would be useful for your lab too Smile xxxx
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by sujay Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:31 am

I would agree with Lesley and give the prebiotics and herbs a try as well, though the final choice is up to you of course.

Vets are often against these type of treatments because they prefer to keep you hooked into them, and charging you a fortune for pills and potions. After all, they are in business and need to make money to live.

The vet was very sceptical when we tried Simba on them, but never said don't use them, just that he wasn't 100% convinced they would make a difference. I am not saying they completely cured him, but the prebiotics made a very big difference and quite quickly, though we were told that it could take a few months to build up the full benefit.
sujay
sujay
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next