Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » Sleep Well
    eye problem EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
    eye problem EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
    eye problem EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
    eye problem EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
    eye problem EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
    eye problem EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
    eye problem EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
    eye problem EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
    eye problem EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
     Portal
     Index
     Memberlist
     FAQ
     Search
    March 2024
    MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

eye problem

+2
    weezy121978
    Michaela
    6 posters

Go down

eye problem Empty eye problem

Post by Michaela Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:02 pm

Hi all,

Please can you give me some advice? I have just taken Kimba to the vets as she has a bright red streak on the white of her eye. It runs down to the eye colour. She has had it for atleast 4 wks. She is 12 wks now. The vet said it was a blood vessle and flushed out her eye and gave us some ointement to put in every 8 hour. He was not sure what had caused it, it could have been playing with Biscuit(27wks), when she was younger as he said young puppies don't blink when something comes towards them. He also found another darker one in her other eye. But not as bad. He said that it might be hiredatry also. I watched closely on this site when another dog had ulsers. But from the pictures it is not one. The vet advised cutting the hair around her eyes. Has anyone else had a similar experience to this and what are your opinions.
    Many thanks

Michaela

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2010-01-27
    Number of posts : 260

Back to top Go down

eye problem Empty Re: eye problem

Post by Michaela Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:21 pm

Also forgot to ask as I haven't taken out insurance for her yet, will she still be covered if we need to have more treatment on it. I will have her with M&S like biscuit.

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by weezy121978 Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:25 pm

From what I understand - eyes and ears are common problem areas on our little shih tzus. I have heard that they can easily burst a blood vessel in their eye from straining - pulling on a lead for example. It is also common if they have been for a grooming and have had their necks held up on a lead during their hair cut.

If neither of these things have happenned recently then I don't really know what to suggest - it doesn't sound like the vet was too much use either!

I hope Kimba is all better soon. Sending big hugs.

Louise and Rusty Bear x
    weezy121978
    weezy121978
    Junior
    Junior

Registration date : 2010-05-19
    Number of posts : 99

Back to top Go down

Post by weezy121978 Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:26 pm

I'm not sure if the insurance will cover it if it happenned before the start of the policy? You'd have to double check that? Maybe have a read through the small print on Biscuit's policy?
    weezy121978
    weezy121978
    Junior
    Junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaela Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:31 pm

Thanks no she has only just started walking on the lead and has never been to the groomers. No I wish I had taken out insurance a couple of weeks age but you know what it is like. Crying or Very sad

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi, Tasha had three ulcers in the last 6 months so I don't think it sounds like an ulcer . I would suggest it is what your vet thought it may be. As for insurance I would talk to M&S and tell them. they can decide if they are prepared to insure her. I am not sure if they cover eyes in their policy. Luckily for me Tasha is insured with Crufts Pet Insurance and they do cover eyes. So I was able to claim because she had to see a consultant and the cost was over £200. I hasten to add that Tasha's ulcers were caused by ingrowing eyelashes on her lower lids. I don't want to worry you that all Shih Tzu's get ulcers.I do hope Kimba is better soon.
    sands-62
    sands-62
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
    Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Michele Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Sorry to hear about Kimbas eye, it doesnt sound as though it was an ulcer to me either, especially if she has had it for a few weeks, as far as I know an ulcer would have got much worse without any treatment, hopefully the ointment your vet has given you will soon clear up the problem x
    Michele
    Michele
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-10-06
    Number of posts : 1938

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi there - I don't think you need to worry too much - shih tzu just like us can get little burst blood vessels in their eyes and I think the vet probably was erring on the side of caution with treatment. However, whatever you do DO NOT CUT the hair around the eyes as the vet suggested as cut hair is very sharp and as such can cause dogs to have eye trouble and get ulcers!! I am not saying that full coated shih tzu never get eye problems but they don't seem to get as many problems as those with cut hair. The hair actually serves as a protection for the rather prominent eyes of our breeds. If there are stray hairs poking into the eye then it is best to use a little vaseline to smooth them away. Hair in the eyes would cause ULCERS and not burst blood vessels!!

Now to your insurance question - unfortunately you won't be covered for this problem in the near future (and maybe not at all with some insurers) that is how they work - they are not going to cover a dog for something it is being or has been treated for as it is not in their best interests. It sounds to me that it is likely that it was caused in play with Biscuit and I think you should discuss this with prospective insurance companies and tell them this was an accidental injury - they may well cover future serious eye problems that was not accidental injury if Kimba should have somethign in the future.
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
    Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by sujay Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:17 pm

Couldn't agree more with Lesley. Whatever you do, don't cut the hair near Kimbas eyes. At the minute it is protecting them, especially as she is growing and will be investigating things which is when things are more likely to go near her eyes. As the fur grows it will lay flatter and be less of a problem, the vaseline is a good idea, but you only needed the tiniest bit to smooth down the fur.

As for insurance, you may well find that eye problems will now not be covered. I know one of the questions they usually ask is whether the dog has been treated for anything in the past, and even if you don't declare it, the vet will have a record of it, so it could invalidate any future claims irrespective of what they are for.
    sujay
    sujay
    Supreme Champion
    Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-07-19
    Number of posts : 2636

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:40 pm

Yes Sue I meant to say that - if you do NOT declare a condition and then you make a claim - the insurers will get a breakdown of treatment from the vet - the vet won't hand write this it will be a print of from computer and so will have somewhere in it that it is a follow up/ subsequent condition and should that happen then you would find your insurance NULL and VOID - furthermore no other insurance company will take you on so its just not worth it.

If it is any consolation I have got myself in the same situation before now - didn't insure in time and then the dog went and got something wrong with it!!!
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaela Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:51 pm

Ok thanks. I would never not declare the problem. I would always be up front and honest.
    The treatment the vet gave is only viscotears to make the eyes moister. But to be honest they are not dry in the first place.

Should this burst vessel get better on its own in your experience?

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:06 pm

To be hinest hun I really don't think there was a burst blood vessel especiallynow you have said that the vet gave you viscotears! I wasn't implying that you WOULD not declare the problem so hope Ididn't offend you I was just stating it for information really.

I am sure your baby's eyes will be fine - I remember that one of mine had a prominent blood vessel in the white of one of his eyes and I am wondering if it might be something like that?? xxxx
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaela Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:53 pm

NO you didn't offend me a all. Yes it sounds like it is like the one, one of yours had. It is bright red and risen up goes from the top of the white almost touching the colour. The one in her other eye is dark red not as risen and near the nose side of the eye.

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by weezy121978 Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:54 pm

maybe try popping a pic on so that we can have a look - it may jog someones memory? hope she is feeling ok x
    weezy121978
    weezy121978
    Junior
    Junior

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:53 pm

a pic would be good but I can tell you I would be very shocked if it was not the same as Beau's - and that it is quite normal Very Happy
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:27 pm

Lesley
    When Tasha had her ulcers and was seen by the consultant back in February he told me to put in Lubrythal like Viscotears but Tasha's eyes are always moist and I am more than convinced that she probably isn't suffering from Dry Eye but her ulcers were down to the eyelashes on her lower lids. Do you think Lesley, that I should carry on with the Lubrythal although I have bought three tubes of the stuff or just not put it in as often? it is no problem to do it and she is ever so good about it.
    sands-62
    sands-62
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
    Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:52 am

Why don't you give it a try for a few days and see how moist her eyes are - if they look a bit dry or sore you can start using it again or even just put it in a couple of times a week??
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down